Wednesday, January 19, 2011

just saying it could even make it happen


dress: vintage -- shoes: BC Footwear via Nordstrom Rack -- jacket: Levi's clearance -- tights: Target, gift from my sister <3

Can you tell how happy I was when I took these? I came back to campus after an appointment, and the sun was out and the grass was green, and I saw a weird little road leading into the middle of the expanse of grass with eucalyptus and oak trees that you see in these photos. It just put me in the best mood :) I totally sketchily parked my car in the CONSTRUCTION PARKING ONLY zone, shot some photos, did some dirt-road-driving to turn my car around, and exited the area just as a campus sheriff drove down the road I had parked on. Win!



After seeing so many gorgeous 50s dresses on bloggers recently, I was taken with quite a 50s dress jones that I couldn't seem to shake. Two weeks of waffling later, I decided that I should just buy the thing since I hadn't lost the impulse. I found it at my favorite vintage shop for $32, and that's on the more expensive end of their price spectrum. This dress is so amazing. It fits as if it were tailored to me. Nothing's too tight, too short, or too long. It's juuuust right! I think that at $110, this is the most expensive outfit I've ever worn on the blog, excluding ones that include my leather jacket. Not bad, eh? I may spend way too much time on clothes, but at least I don't spend way too much money.



I've been hearing Florence + the Machine -- The Dog Days Are Over on the radio, on friends' stereos, and in stores a lot recently. I like the song, but it always just makes me want to listen to Kate Bush, whose song "Cloudbusting" supplies the title of this post. That particular tune probably isn't the best intro to Kate Bush, so I'm posting the really cool video for her super-catchy song "Hounds of Love" instead.



I noticed I've been listening to music by women a lot recently. Joni Mitchell, Best Coast, Patti Smith, Kate Bush, and Beach House. There's something very refreshing about the female perspective since so much of the stuff I listen to (probably 85% or more) is by men.

31 comments:

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

its so sunny and gorgeous you are! what a lovely spot. this field clearly needed flowers, I'm glad you could provide them with your awesome dress.

Gertrude said...

You look gorgeously happy! Love the dress and the background is perfect for your outfit x

callie said...

I feel like I don't see you in a lot of florals but this dress looks gorgeous on you! I love everything about it- the cut, the colors- & those shoes are so cute!

I've been listening to a lot of female artists lately too & I agree that it's refreshing (& super inspiring!!)

Olivia said...

That dress ♥♥♥♥♥
Once again I'll say it: you're so freaking cute!
Thanks for "singing" me happy birthday :) You're the best!

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

I LOVE Cloudbusting. Isn't it a great song. I am a huge Kate Bush fan, and Cloudbusting is one of my faves. Also, love the dress :)

Nicola said...

Love your dress and it looks lovely on! x

JennaStevie said...

I love this floral print on you, it looks great with that jacket. I really like this.
Thats a really great song! Thank you for the comment on my blog, I understand how busy one gets with school and assignments and all that :)
xJennaD

Annebeth said...

I adore your smile, and that floral is so cute with the green tights :)

I love listening to female music too! It irks me that so much music is by men, or only sung by a woman but obviously not written by a woman.

I'm sort of into Hole and Heart for that reason :D GRRLPOWER!

Virginie Bardot said...

That dress is perfect, it suits you so well!

ps: are you sure it's January in your part of the world? So jealous ;)

www.virginiescinema.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Wow, you look so pretty! I absolutely love that dress on you. And the weather looks amazing there. It topped off at 70 the other day...I though it was supposed to be cold?? Hehe

Alisa said...

great photos and that dress really suits you Sophi(e?)... i am also impressed with the green tights combination! it works very well :)
BUT, let me clarify this one thing- you take your own pictures with your own camera, your own tripod and a little remote control?! Because I hate asking people to take pictures of me (that's why there aren't many of them) but every time I assure myself and others that I will do it myself with a tripod, people look at me like I am insane... and I don't know what to do! Share the tip! x

Anonymous said...

this is a cute outfit. i like it when you smile :D and kate bush is awesome. i think this is the first post where i immediately knew what song the title was from.

Louise said...

So pretty! I am so incredibly jealous of your weather, but I won't hold it against you. That dress is phenomenal, and you really do look so happy and sweet.

Kass DeBoer said...

What a pretty location!

This dress is SO pretty. The color and design are wonderful, and it really does fit you well!

xoxo mama wolf.

Katie said...

You look gorgeous! :) The green tights look great and the dress is lovely xoxo

simply h² said...

I love those green tights - you look great!

http://www.hsquaredfashion.blogspot.com

veronika, tick tock vintage. said...

such a pretty dress! you look adorable.

some female artists i like are cat power, gregory and the hawk, jenny lewis, and cat power.

Rosie said...

These are beautiful - LOVE the dress! and espcially love the sunshine! I've woken up and its sunny here for once - I want to take some outdoor pics! How do you take your photos? xxx

Magali Vaz said...

Love the floral dress, it looks awesome! <3

Laura said...

You look so cute =) I haven't been to your blog in a while and I'm glad I came back I love your style and your hair!!! Happy Weekends =)

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

whew close call! With that being said, I really like how you've paired this dress with a jean jacket. A little boyishness never hurt anyone :)

xx
MILK TEETHS

Nnenna said...

Aww, you do look soo happy! I love your outfit and your setting :)

Kirstin said...

I love these green tights, they are such a great change from the regular black that I always wear!

Nnenna said...

Aww, you do look soo happy! I love your outfit and your setting :)

Magali said...

Love the floral dress, it looks awesome! <3

Louise said...

So pretty! I am so incredibly jealous of your weather, but I won't hold it against you. That dress is phenomenal, and you really do look so happy and sweet.

Amanda, The Upside of Wonder said...

Wow, you look so pretty! I absolutely love that dress on you. And the weather looks amazing there. It topped off at 70 the other day...I though it was supposed to be cold?? Hehe

Annebeth said...

I adore your smile, and that floral is so cute with the green tights :)

I love listening to female music too! It irks me that so much music is by men, or only sung by a woman but obviously not written by a woman.

I'm sort of into Hole and Heart for that reason :D GRRLPOWER!

Nicola said...

Love your dress and it looks lovely on! x

Michal said...

I feel like I don't see you in a lot of florals but this dress looks gorgeous on you! I love everything about it- the cut, the colors- & those shoes are so cute!

I've been listening to a lot of female artists lately too & I agree that it's refreshing (& super inspiring!!)

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

its so sunny and gorgeous you are! what a lovely spot. this field clearly needed flowers, I'm glad you could provide them with your awesome dress.