Sunday, October 31, 2010

you're standing on my neck

Halloween Edition!




Daria and Trent

This summer, I decided to dress up as Daria for Halloween after spending most of August watching the complete series while sewing. I'm not really a big television person; I only like a few shows, and I only watch them on DVD/Netflix years after they air. It's even more unusual that I'll actually relate to a TV show.

Daria
is special to me. I only saw it a few times before it got canceled, but I was obsessed with the VHS tape we made of Is It College Yet?, and I made all of my friends with Noggin watch Daria when I went over to their houses. My family had this little Daria book called The Daria Diaries that I read dozens of times.

If you met me, you probably wouldn't make a Daria comparison with me. I'm very chatty, pretty silly, and fairly easygoing. But underneath my ever-so-normal exterior, I've got a lot of the same flaws Daria has. We're both judgmental, nerdy as hell, and self-congratulatory. (Daria sums it up in the first episode: "I don't have low self-esteem. ... I have low esteem for everyone else.") I tend to be very impatient with people's foibles. As I've gotten older, I've loosened up and made plenty of my own bad decisions and mistakes. Even so, that part of me that just won't suffer foolishness and immaturity (because, of course, I am SUCH a paragon of virtue... not) is definitely still active. Watching Daria reminds me of my faults, but it also reminds me that even those faults have their positive aspects. I like Daria. I'm on her side.

Alex is my Trent! Pretty good, eh?



11 comments:

Kate said...

OMG this is so rocking!!! daria is the bomb

Stacie said...

Pretty great!

Fashion & DIY said...

OMGGGG you look exactly like Daria!!!!

Eunice Yooni Kim said...

oh yay daria. we've been watching her non-stop because our friend bought the entire box set.

and to answer your question, vanessa and i are from the east bay but now go to school in new york.

Annebeth said...

1: you are very pretty

2: your costume is great

3: I TOTALLY feel you! I'm also that really chatty, happy, fun person, but there's quite a bit of snark, sarcasm and arrogance (for lack of a better term, or actually lack of motivation to describe stuffz better) mixed in there. I can't stand how dumb people are from time to time, and I do feel better than a lot of people. But, you know, most of the time when you feel that way, you actually ARE better and smarter than those people. I mean, that's just how things are. Haha.
Life is just about learning to see who you are and why you are that way, sort of moderating your bad sides, but also accepting them and loving them. I love me as a person, even my confrontational and bitchy sides.


I sound horrible, don't I? :D

Gloria said...

Fantastic costumes hahahaa!
xoxoxx

cupcake said...

haha you look great! I love the round glasses!

Tavi said...

Oh man you are both SO dead-on! Bravo!

Tavi said...

Oh man you are both SO dead-on! Bravo!

Katie said...

OMG this is so rocking!!! daria is the bomb

Fashion & DIY said...

OMGGGG you look exactly like Daria!!!!